I know, I know, most of you are so busy right now, what with a new school year underway and all. The last thing you are thinking about is simplification of your life. Slowing down? That’s what summer was for.
But I have to disagree. If you are seeking a simpler way of living, a more relaxing way of life, then that is something you want year-round. And there is no better time to start that lifestyle shift than the present.
But, I get it. A major lifestyle shift is big. Profound even. And it won’t happen in a day, but starting with something small…that can happen today.
And that is precisely why I’ve decided to breakdown the task of simplifying your life into 10 easy tips that I’ll be sharing with you over the next two posts here at Country Wife Chronicles. I really truly feel like these tips can get you started down the path of a more balanced life, one that calms the chaos and is full of vitality.
I can say that because these are all things that I put into practice regularly. Now, I’m not going to go as far as saying that I’m perfect at any of them. But I do make the effort to live a simple life.
Easy Tips to Simplify Your Life
Well, to honor the simplicity of this post, I’m not going to keep you reading any longer without revealing the first 5 tips to simplify your life today…so here you go!
- 1) Love Thyself: We are topping this to-do list with self-love! Do something you enjoy each and every day. Take time to take care of you. I know, this is easier said than done, especially if you are wired to be a people pleaser. But it really is a major step toward simplifying your life. It reaffirms the importance of prioritizing your health. It teaches you to say “no” for you. And it just plain feels good. Go on a walk. Do some yoga. Take a bath, read a book, paint your nails. Whatever you love and never feel like you have time to do, do it. Just make the time. You’ll feel rejuvenated and whole, and your family will notice. A little self-care goes a long way.
- 2) Fight the Paper Clutter: Are your countertops overflowing? For us, it is our bookshelf by the door. Wildland Man freely admits that paper clutter is his weakness. When he’s not sure what to do with a piece of paper it lands on that bookshelf. And the pile just keeps growing. Ugh. To fight that paper clutter monster, we simply go through that pile on a weekly basis. I rarely let it go longer than that. Beyond a week and it is just too big of a task to tackle. Besides going through the growing pile, we also have a system for our bills and important files. And each of these systems get a regular purge as well. Find what works for you and set up some sort of system to tackle the paper clutter in your home. You’ll feel immediately relieved when this monster is tamed, I assure you.
- 3) Get Outside Daily: I love to spend my morning devotion time outside on my deck. And now that we have a new pup in our household my daily walks are much more consistent. One of my very favorite things to do is to go outside about a half hour before Wildland Man returns home for the day and just sit in silence, taking in the sights and sounds all around me. Nature feeds the soul, so get outside and soak up some Vitamin D while you are at it. And by taking the time to slow down you will be making an effort to simplify your life.
- 4) Set a Budget: Look, I’ll be honest, I was forced into budgeting because of some major shifts in careers we chose to make. But now, I’m a firm believer in the budget. And even if you don’t need to financially restrict yourself, a budget helps to rein in the excess clutter. If you are constantly weighing if you truly need something or just want it, you’ll end up with less. And we all know, less is more, especially when you are attempting to simplify.
- 5) Play a Board Game: Instead of turning on the TV tonight or watching everyone in your family disperse after dinner with their mobile devices, call the family in for a night of board games or card playing. No phones allowed. Unplug. Talk and laugh and play. I can almost guarantee that once you try this you may just want to make it a regular event in your household. Simplification is all about going back to the basics.
Ok, so there’s your first half of this 2-part post series. I decided to break it down for you so as to not contribute to the overwhelm you may be feeling in your life at the moment.
I know simplifying your life can seem a bit “easier said than done.” But the beauty of simplification is really the mindset shift. Simple. Slow. Relaxed. Once you can get your mind in that space you just take life a bit slower, even when it is throwing everything at you all at once. One thing at a time, one curveball after another. At your pace, not the world’s.
I hope that by sharing these few tips you have been inspired to at least experiment with a simpler way of life. Stay tuned to CWC as next week we’ll wrap up this post with the final 5 tips and a freebie just for you!